Effective elements of care-physical activity initiatives for adults with a low socioeconomic status
a concept mapping study with health promotion experts
Mulderij, L.S., Wolters, F., Verkooijen, K., Koelen, M., Groenewoud, S., & Wagemakers, A. (2020). Effective elements of care-physical activity initiatives for adults with a low socioeconomic status: a concept mapping study with health promotion experts. Evaluation and Program Planning 80
In care-physical activity (care-PA) initiatives, primary care and sports are combined to stimulate PA among adults at risk of lifestyle related diseases. Preliminary results from Dutch care-PA initiatives for adults with a low socioeconomic status (SES) indicate a decrease in participants’ body weight and an improved quality of life, however, the elements that make these initiatives successful are yet to be identified. In total, 19 Dutch health promotion experts participated in our concept mapping (CM) of the effective elements of care-PA initiatives for adults with a low SES.
The experts identified 111 effective elements of these initiatives, which were grouped into 11 clusters, focusing on:
- approaching participants within the care-PA initiative,
- barriers experienced throughout the initiative,
- long-term implementation,
- customizing the care-PA initiative to the target population,
- social support,
- structure and guidance,
- the professionals within the care-PA initiative,
- the accessibility of the care-PA initiative,
- targeted behaviour and progression,
- recruitment and administration, and
- intersectoral collaboration.
CM was useful for creating a valuable overview of these effective elements. Our results could be used to improve the development and implementation of future care-PA initiatives for adults with a low SES.
- Previous studies show promising results of care-physical activity (PA) initiatives.
- Concept mapping enables the unravelling of effective elements in care-PA initiatives.
- This research contributes to developing a framework to classify effective elements.
- When using effective elements, the initiative’s context must be taken into account.
Effective elements of care-physical activity initiatives for adults with a low socioeconomic status : a concept mapping study with health promotion expertsDownload PDF
Klik op de auteur meer artikelen te zoeken van deze auteur.Lisanne Mulderij
Tags van dit artikel
Klik op de tag meer artikelen te zoeken met deze tag.beweegstimulering